» Medical Laboratory accreditation (ISO 15189)
Medical Laboratory accreditation (ISO 15189)
UKAS provides accreditation to the internationally recognised standard ISO 15189 Medical Laboratories – requirements for quality and competence.
UKAS accreditation covers the following disciplines:
- Clinical Biochemistry – Toxicology – Endocrinology
- Haematology - Blood Transfusion
- Microbiology - Virology - Parasitology – Serology - Mycology
- Histopathology – Cytology - Mortuaries
- Histocompatibility & Immunogenetics
Medical laboratories can also be accredited as an External Quality Assurance Provider (EQA) to ISO/IEC 17043, Conformity Assessment – General requirements for proficiency testing.
UKAS also accredits organisations which provide point of care testing against ISO 22870 (Point of Care Testing: particular requirements for quality and competence), applied in conjunction with ISO 15189 (Medical Laboratories: particular requirements for quality and competence). This accreditation is an important element in establishing and maintaining confidence in a point of care testing service.
- Introduction to medical laboratory accreditation
- Deadline Extension for Transition to BS EN ISO 15189:2012
- Apply for accreditation
- The route to accreditation
- What are the costs of accreditation?
- Government policy on accreditation
- The benefits of accreditation
- Medical Laboratory Accreditation (ISO 15189) - ILAC
- Peer Assessor information and application form
- Accreditation - Delivering patient safety
In order to address the confusion caused by the perception that accredited laboratories do not operate a recognised quality management system, a joint ISO-ILAC-IAF communique can be provided to laboratory clients to demonstrate that the management system requirements of ISO 15189 meet the principles and requirements of ISO 9001.
Training Enquiry Form
Our team pride themselves on providing a friendly, knowledgeable and efficient service to support our customers in finding the right training solution to perfectly match their needs. Contact our team to discuss your requirements.